Eric G

Hello Jay,

How right you were - right there in the Normal.dot, Properties, under the
Summary tab, in the Title field sits a lonly "1". As how it got there, I
can't explain either. And I, who thought I kept the normal.dot nice and
tidy, with regular backups and everything, I didn't even notice it.

Well, you solved my problem - thank you very much for your help, it's much
appreciated.

Best regards,

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
| Hi Eric,
|
| The "first few words" suggestion is actually Word's second choice, used
only
| if the Title field of the File Properties dialog is empty. In your case,
| suspect that the Title field of your Normal.dot contains the character
"1",
| this is being propagated into each new document, and it's being used to
| suggest the file name.
|
| To fix this, open Normal.dot itself -- use File Open, set the file type
| dropdown to "Word Template", navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\your
| login name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates, and select Normal.dot.
Go