Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Default Global Template Question

Normal.dot is "the" global template. You can create other global templates
as well but they are different, lesser, global templates.

Macros are stored in modules. The NewMacros module in normal.dot is the
default storage location for recorded macros.

If you are using a global template other than normal.dot and want to make
any change to the macros in it, you must have that global template open. You
can use the macros if the template is loaded even though not open.

Each document or template that is open will show up in the project list in
the vba editor. The default name for a project in a template that is created
as a template is "Template Project." The default for documents (or templates
that were originally created as documents.) You can change the name of a
project and I usually change mine to reflect the name of the template. Note,
do this before you attach macros to toolbars!

I also give my modules functional names rather than "NewMacros."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Deb McLellan" wrote in message
Thank you Charles and Suzanne. That's a ton of useful information!

When I am creating my global template, I understand that file must be open
in my workspace. At one point after copying macros from the normal.dot
file, one of the instructions is to "use the VBA editor to look at the
New Macros module in your template". With the Global Template open I hit
Alt-F11 and appear to get the list of macros that are loaded into the
Normal.dot file. The title bar indicates that I am looking at the Normal
file. I looked around and found something under "View" called "Project
Explorer" and I think I was able to select the newmacros module in my
golbal template file there. Am I correct in thinking that I'm in the
right place for that?

Also, and I apologize if this a very basic question, but I'm wondering, if
you can just copy the macros from normal.dot, what is the point of
requiring that the global template be open when I am creating those
macros?

Thanks.
Deb