Gilley

What you are probably experiencing is the dreaded 'hyperlinking' of the TOC
entries.

This also drives me crazy. To be able to just select the pages number ...

Turn on View Field Codes (Tools | Options | View Tab | Field Codes).
You should see something that resembles the following:
{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z}

It is the "\h" that is causing your the trouble. Remove the \h from the
field code. This is the trigger for the hyperlinking.

Turn off View Field Codes.

Now you can remove the page numbers on the TOC entries you need to.

Regards,

Gilley

"TOC" wrote:

I am working on a table of contents for a legal brief and on the TOC its self
i want only certain lines to have the actual page number i.e. heading has
page number and sub heading does not. i know before i was able to do it by
going to the end of a the line and delete three times and the .......3 will
delete but now it is highlighting everything in that is connected to that
page number (.......3).

please help! i appreciate any help that you can give