Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Default Numeric rounding problems in mail merge with excel data source.

If you select Options from the Tools menu and then go to the General tab and
check the box against "Confirm conversions at open" and then when you attach
the datasource to the mail merge main document, you select DDE as the method
of connection, the behaviour will probably be the same as in Office 2000.

Otherwise, see "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mark" mark-at-redfox-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message
Hi,

Apologies if this has been posted before, I found nothing about this
problem in the FAQ or Google.

After upgrading from Office 2000 to 2003 a word mail merge, that uses an
excel spreadsheet as a data source, will corrupt any numeric decimal
placing data it is supposed to display. Any values in the spreadsheet
that happen to be a whole number are incorrectly rounded when displayed in
the word 'Mail Merge Recipients' window.

E.G.: the spreadsheet correctly rounds the value 6.858 to 6.86, but mail
merge displays it as 6.857999999999997

The spreadsheet and word document were both designed (and still work) in
Word and Excel 2000, but not 2003.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark