Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default If "Yes" then "Yes or round as percentage

There's an explanation of why this occurs at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"John" wrote in message
Revising my response from earlier today:
When I use the merge field without a switch it works fine so long as there
is a number as the source data. However, It returns "0" (zero) when the
source field states "Yes". This was an issue before I responded earlier
but
I thought I had fixed it by closing and re-opening the two files.

While trying to implement your and macropod's solutions, I found that it
would still return "0" when the source was "Yes". I went back to the
simple
merge field only to learn it is returning 0 even after closing and
re-opening
the files.

The "No" and Null scenarios are not possible for my current field.
Simplifying the solution for "Yes" or a percentage format may give me the
starting point for the next field which does include "No" and nulls.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What does the field produce without a switch for each condition?

The Yes, No and possibly the null should reproduce what you have in the
field. The only one that seems likely to cause trouble is the percentage
field. That being the case, on the face of it you need a nest of
conditional
fields that test each possible result ie

{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = "Y*" "{ MERGEFIELD Target }"} (Look for words
beginning upper case Y i.e. YES or Yes)
{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = "N*" "{ MERGEFIELD Target }"}(Look for words
beginning upper case N i.e. NO or No)
{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = "" "" } (Look for Null)
{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = "Anything else" "{ ={ MERGEFIELD Target} *
100
\# "0.0%"}" }

so that would give you:

{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = "Y*" "{ MERGEFIELD Target }" "{ IF{
MERGEFIELD
Target } = "N*" "{ MERGEFIELD Target }" "{ IF{ MERGEFIELD Target } = ""
""
"{ ={ MERGEFIELD Target} * 100 \# "0.0%"}" }" }" }

Each pair of field brackets is inserted with CTRL+F9.

Switches are covered at http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

John wrote:
I am trying to import data from Excel into a Word document via mail
merge. All data in Excel is derived via a formula. One field
Target is giving me trouble because is may be a percentage
e.g.98.5%, a Yes/No. or Null. I have tried If Then and nothing seems
to work to get the results I need.

If the value is Yes, then I need it to state Yes, If it is a
percentage, I need it to format as a percent and round to the 1st
decimal. If it is null, I need it to state "N/A"

Incidentally, I do not understand the merge switch concept and why it
seems to toggle between three states, then two. Resources for this
would be appreciated as well.

Thanks