Jezebel

Default Word's word count feature should be able to count sentences also

It might be normal. That doesn't make it good.

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
I think this is a difference in English vs.American usage. In UK English Mr
(without the full stop) is good; in US English Mr. (with the period) is
normal.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
While slightly off subject, what is superfluous about the period
following
"Mr" in my example? Are you saying that it isn't necessary and that

simply
Mr will do or is it tied to your greater aversion to abbreviations in
general and that Mister should be used in the example to avoid confusion?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Jezebel wrote:
Word's estimate of sentences is necessarily a somewhat fuzzy piece of
logic; abbreviations -- or superfluous periods, as in your example --

are
always going to be problematic.

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
That doesn't work so well Jezebel.

Consider:

How did Mr. Smith get to Washington?

That is not two sentences.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Jezebel wrote:
It is VBA, but all it takes in a macro is

msgbox("Sentences = " & activedocument.Sentences.Count)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I suspected this might be available through the readability
statistics, but (short of VBA) there's no way to access those
without checking grammar, which is a huge PITA.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Look at readability statistics. ToolsOptionsSpelling and
Grammar and check Show readability statistics. Consider the
following: Did Mr. Smith go to Washington? I don't know Mrs.
Jones;
you will
have to
ask Mr. Smith.

ToolsSpelling and Grammar.

Words: 18
Characters: 71
Paragraphs: 1
Sentences: 2

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Does it? Word Count counts pages, words, characters (with and
without spaces), paragraphs, and lines, but not sentences. But
if Word tried to
count sentences, most users would not be satisfied because it
would have to
count anything ending in a period as a sentence, which is what it
does when
you use Ctrl+click to select a sentence, and this includes the
periods after
abbreviations.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote
in message
This feature already exists within Word, so there is no need for
you to suggest it to Microsoft.

Connor wrote:

When i do my weekly composition for seventh grade it has to be
a minimum
of
fifteen sentences. If the word count feature could count
sentences as
well, I
would not have to do it manually.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=37c24710-01
ad-499c-a8ce-b6568d51597c&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t