Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default turn off .tmp generation

I have a lot of Excel data sources that I connect to with DDE, and I find
that when I go to save and close the mail merge main document, I am asked if
I want to save the data source as well. I always do, because it saves the
selection of recipients so that I can check to see whom I sent things to (I
don't save the merged document in most cases).

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I believe this has more to do with the data connection to your database
than temp files. Word now uses a new method, (called OLEDB), by default to
connect to a data source for mail merge. Word 2000 uses a method called
DDE.. In a nut shell, this connection allows Word to communicate directly
with your data file (which is more efficient) rather than through the
application as it did in the past using a DDE connection method. The fact
that your database may be opening as read-only may indeed be a bug. (I
don't know, this isn't something I've investigated.)

What you might be able to do is use the DDE method to connect to your data
source which may allow you to make your edits and save them. However, we
need to know the version of Word you are using so we can provide you with
the necessary steps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dave" wrote in message
Thank you all for replying. My situation is when I open a merge document
and
use my Word based data base it opens a .tmp file. If I edit the data
base,
which word allows and has qucik buttons to do it by during the merge, and
then close the template I cannot save the changed data base file because
it
says it is open. The error is that it is a read only file, which it is
not.
It is just that Word created a .tmp file so it thinks it open somewhere
else.
So I have to close without saving changes, a real pain for my application
plus I cannot use features Word has to offer.

This did not happen in Word 2000 and the folks on the Merge help page
said
it is a know problem, they thought it might get fixed sometime. I was
looking for a near term solution.

Thanks again,

"Beth Melton" wrote:

The .tmp files Word creates are automatically delete, unless you
experience
a crash. If after you exit Word you still see temp files (that Word
creates)
then something is preventing their deletion, such as you may not have
the
necessary permissions enabled.

Otherwise, if they are deleted automatically then, as others have noted,
this is "normal" behavior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dave" wrote in message
.tmp files are a real pain and I would like word to stop generating
them.
Does anyone know of a way to stop word from generating .tmp files when
open
an existing file? Is there a registry key to stop them? I am not
worried
about losing information in an open document if something should
happen,
which is what I understand the .tmp file is for.