Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default Word should have colored tabs for opened documents

Personally I would find copying and pasting between 10 or more documents a
nightmare at any time of the day with or without tabs. What on earth are you
trying to do?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"thefred" wrote in message
yes, I understand. I know tabs in Excel are within "A" workbook. I also
note
that my verbiage was incorrect.

I did truly mean, that Word should allow separate unrelated opened docs
shown/aligned in COLOR tabs *similar* to Excel's tabs in a workbook.

It's an absolute friggin' IQ test, at mid night or later, after a whole
day
of labor, to try and keep track of your control-tab & copy/paste between
10+
docs with that or more apps opened and running in the background!

Nightmare.

As in IE7, doc-tabs should be able to be turned off and on so some users
can
continue to clunk along loading Word zillions of times while others can
operate in a stream-lined, efficient, and simplified "one-incident"
manner.

Thank you.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

I don't normally let myself get involved in threads like this, and
really
don't care whether or not Word has a 'tab feature' (unless I'm forced
to use
such a thing against my will) but ...

... the equivalent of worksheet tabs in Excel is *not* document tabs
in
Word. The Excel equivalent of a Document is a Work*Book* and Excel does
not
have workbook tabs. It is just as awkward - or just as easy, depending
on
your point of view - to work with multiple workbooks in Excel as it is
work with multiple documents in Word. In fact, if anything, I would say
it
is probably easier to navigate a document in Word than it is to
navigate a
workbook in Excel.

Exactly right. This is the nth-millionth time I have seen this request in
the last 5 years, and every single time people fail to realize that the
tabs
in Excel represent different Worksheets within a single workbook, and not
different Workbooks within the Excel application. I guess the only way
that
Word could work like Excel is if Word had tabs to represent pages within
the
document.... But that makes no sense! Hence, no tab!

You can't compare apples and oranges...