Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

Default Managing Long Documents

Rhino wrote:
Is there anything in the Options that will help with this?

Shut down most of the AutoFormatWhenYouDon'tLook stuff if you haven't
already. I would not want to use spell/grammer-checker, too.

Could you be more specific on what I should shut down and where I can find
those features to shut them down? I'm new to Word and am not fluent in
finding my way around yet.

One useful approach is to go into the options menu and shut off
everything that you can possibly live without.

Should I break the document down into smaller subdocuments and then link
the chunks into the master document? If that is the right approach, what
is a good size for the subdocuments? After all, if I make the subdocs too
big, I may be no further ahead in terms of scrolling performance but if I
make them very small, it increases the amount of work because I have to
create all of these smaller documents.

Don't go near master/subdocuments without an extensive study of the
relevant "literature" (search for "Word heretic masterdocument" or such
stuff).

Fair enough; I've been warned :-) Sounds like one of those "religious
arguments" with various schools of thought about what is the Right Way to do
things....

Actually it's because the master document system is very fragile and
quirky, and needs to be approached with great care if you don't want it
to eat your work. If you think that it's just a 'school of thought'
matter, feel free to try it out some time...