Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Graham is offline

Default Mail Merge to SQL Server without using an external ODC

Cindy M.
wrote:
Hi Graham,

Is there any way to embed the SQL Server connection information right
into a Word document?

Which version of Word are we discussing? And do your systems have an ODBC
driver for SQL Server installed?

I think it can't be done for OLE DB, as this also requires an external
*.odc file. ODBC can probably do it. And a macro that links the data
source when the file opens could probably work.

Another possibility (and it's what MSFT had in mind when they designed
the interface) would be to distribute the *.odc file for the connection
to everyone's "My Data Source" folder.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Word 2003, and all Microsoft systems have the SQL ODBC driver
installed.

The distribution path you describe would require an installer, which is
a heck of a lot of trouble to get a 25-character connection string down
to the users' machines. Honestly, I think this is another of those
situations where Microsoft didn't have *anything* in mind.

g.