Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default How do I move a paragraph from below to above another paragraph

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:31:21 +0100, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

But note that these shortcuts are safer in Outline view (because they might
lead to unexpected results if headings have been collapsed in Outline view,
even if you use the shortcuts in Print Layout view).

The Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow shortcut is probably one of the top three
shortcuts in Word. I bet I use it more than any other; even more than
Ctrl+C/X/V and Ctrl+B/I/U. I do not understand why Microsoft keeps
this such a secret.

As you point out, there can be some unexpected results.

1. If you don't always run with all levels expanded, then only use it
in Outline view. If you do, then you are fine.

2. In Outline view, it can be used to move whole sections. Just
collapse the outline level to the level you want to move and it will
take everything at a lower level with it. Just don't forget to
re-expand before leaving Outline view.

3. It cannot move text outside a table through a table. But it can
move a table through text. So, if you need to move a paragraph across
a table, move the table instead.

This tool should be documented and featured.