The document likely has a watermark, not a background. View | Header and
Footer and skip to the relevant section (using the Show Next button on the
Header and Footer toolbar). Click on the background and Delete.

"keithb" wrote in message
I 'inherited' a document that has a background behind the normal text in

one
Section. Following the instructions in Word Help, I did the following:
1.. On the Format menu, point to Background.
2.. Click No Fill.
This did not eliminate the background. Can someone give me further
instructions/ideas on how to remove this background?

The document does show an attachement to a template to which I do not have
access. Could the unwanted background have originated in the template?

Thanks for any help,

Keith