Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Ignored Blank characters in Word 2003 Index

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:17:00 -0700, Ray Pixley
wrote:

I having problems using index in Word 2003 where I need to index numbers such
as 1., 2., 10. But in this example cited, the index is sorted as 1., 10., 2.
where as I want them sorted as 1., 2., 10. A theoretical way around this
would be to specify in a concordance file a space character before a number,
but index ignores them. As for changing them to A., B., etc., that's not
allowed for legal, acccounting, and adversarial negotiation reasons - I'm
compelled to keep this numbering style in the document. Besides, they are
not outline headings. How do I get the index by concordance feature to sort
flagged items numerically?

Unless you're able to prefix the numbers with a zero (01., 02., ...
09., 10.), I don't think the index field can do what you want -- its
sorting method is strictly characterwise alphabetical.

A workaround would be to unlink the index field (Ctrl+Shift+F9) after
the index is complete and updated. That will convert it from a field
into plain text. Then you can manually rearrange the entries to fit
the scheme you want.

The disadvantage of this is that, since the index is no longer a
field, it won't update if you add more entries to the document. You'd
have to delete the existing index, create a new index field, unlink
it, and move the number entries again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman