Tino

I'm just using the mouse to "right click" on a file, right click only gives
"ope" or "open with". I'm not trying to open a file from within word. I can
only files from within word OK but that's not what I want to do as I have to
use word to "browse" to the file.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you sure you're choosing Open rather than New? The behavior you
describe
is what you would experience if you were choosing New.

so
all may benefit.

"Tino" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is a WORD problem or an XP problem.

I have recently upgraded from NT to XP (service pack 2). I also have

WORD97.
When I open a file which doesn't have a .DOC extension with WORD by using
"right click & OPEN" and then choosing WORD it opens the file OK but it
displays a file name of "DOCUMENT 1" and treats the file as if it were a

new
file. When I go to save the file it is as if I am saving a new file with

the
default directory of "MY DOCUMENTS". With NT I didn't have this problem.

Non
.DOC files would be opened with their correct file name and could back in
their original format in their original directory. Is there a fix for
this
problem?

regards

Peter