Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default New documents automatically default to manual print tray - Wor

Great, thanks for letting me know it worked.

Yes, Word 2007 uses Normal.dotm. But your first post never said what version
you had, so I guessed.

Karen wrote:
Thanks a bunch, Jay, it worked perfectly! FYI in Word 2007 the
document is named Normal.dot instead of Normal.dot as in earlier
versions.

Karen wrote:
Every time I begin a new document & attempt to print it, it
automatically defaults to the paper tray that requires manual feed
for printing.

In other words, all saved documents are automatically printed when
sent to the printer, but new documents require me to walk to the
printer and either feed paper or change the tray.

I imagine that I need to change the settings (currently set to
manual tray for new documents) but where & how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

This is a variant of a common problem in which stray text gets saved
in the Normal.dot template. In your case, it's the paper tray
setting that has been saved there.

Use the procedure in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. After
changing the paper tray setting in Normal.dot, add a character or
space to the body of the template and delete it, so Word knows it
has a change that needs to be saved.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman