New Daddy 2 New Daddy 2 is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Linke View Post
1) Any idea why you can't search for end of cell characters?

No ... Seems just like some technical decision that was made way back in
Word 1 or 2 by the designers.
Probably it was just simpler to avoid the complexities that would arise.

2) Why does ^&% work?

When you search for a style or formatting in a table, Word matches the text
cell by cell.
^& in "Replace with" re-inserts the matched text... The only thing left to
do is to add the % sign, to get the result you want.

Thanks for the solution,

You're welcome!
Klaus
I'm bumping up this old thread for posterity's sake.

The wild card method suggested by Klaus works -- only to some extent.
When you try to replace the "end-of-cell" characters using wild card, "Replace All" replaced not just the "end-of-cell" characters in a table, but all paragraphs marks having the same formatting in the entire document, EVEN IF you've only selected a part of a table. As a result, I had to execute one-by-one replacement, rather than replace-all, to do the job.

The same phenomenon does not occur when you try to add something at the beginning of a cell -- e.g., a $ symbol -- by replacing all.

I have no idea why "Replace All" affects the entire document, not just the selected portion of a table, when used with a wild card search. But something to take into consideration for followers.