Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Franco Fassio Franco Fassio is offline

Default Big row table doesn't span across pages but lenghtens the current

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out a problem that's driving me crazy. Something gone
wrong with some documents at my company and I have to understand what
happened in order to avoid any future issues.

In these documents I have a table with just one big row and two columns. The
left column contains a long text and the right column contains its
translation in another language, so I expect this big single row to span
across several pages. And, usually, it does. We have to use tables like this
because Word does not allow "parallel" columns.

And now some of these documents behave this way: if I type text in a column,
the column does not span on a new page but it lengthens the current page at
will. If you are typing in draft mode, it's hard to notice that, but if you
print the page or switch to print view, you can see the text "sinking" at the
bottom of the first page, below the bottom margin... and all the text below
this margin is gone, until you switch back to the draft view.

What I checked by myself
(I'm using the Italian version of Word, so I also have some troubles to
translate and understand the hints I'm founding around the web):

- page size is A4
- row table option "Allow row to break across pages" is selected.
- paragraph options €śKeep with next€ť, €śKeep lines together" and
€śWidow/Orphan control" are all unselected
- table in not in a hidden frame (according to this page:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ksInTables.htm)

This behaviour as been verified with Word 2007 and also is occurring with
previous versions of Word. These documents are always saved in .doc binary
format and edited by many users with different versions of Word,

Before giving up and ascribe this behaviour to some unidentified document
corruption, I'm posting this question here and see if I can have some useful
suggestions from you wise guys.

Thanks!