Venky62 Venky62 is offline
Junior Member

You could consider using a ListNum field for those paragraphs that shouldn't appear in TOC. The nonTOC paragraphs should be set to a style other than headings, eg body text. Then it won't show up in TOC.

ListNum field will pickup the numbering system just preceding it. Of course the number will be formatted as per the format of the para it is assigned to and may appear different from the numbers assigned to headings. However, you can manually alter the para settings of the nonTOC paragraph to match headings format while still keeping its style name as body text.

To insert ListNum field go to Insert, go to Quick Parts, go to Field, choose ListNum from Field name listbox and press OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldi View Post
Hi, I can't believe I have to resort to a forum to figure out how to do something so simple. Word has always been frustrating but the 2007 version has gone to another level of frustration. How does such a poor product become the standard? I simply want create an auto number system such as this:
1. Heading1 (linked to table of contents)
1.1 Heading2 (linked to table of contents)
2. Heading1 (linked to table of contents)
2.1 Heading2 (linked to table of contents)
2.1.1 Heading3 (linked to table of contents)
2.1.2 List3 (NOT linked to table of contents)

I was able to find a tutorial to explain how to set up the above as far as headings. But to do the same scheme for non-headings (meaning they could be paragraph levels or in any case they are not to be included in the table of contents) and have these non-heading lists linked to the heading lists, I have had no luck... the non-heading link starts with a new number or it's linked to some unknown list. I'm exhausted trying to search a solution... nearly everyone is confused by this Word mess and trying to find this particular solution is too difficult. Thank you.