Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Incorrect date format coming across in mail merge from excel

See the "Dates: day/month reversed" item under the "Connection methods"
topic of the "Mail merge in Word 2002/2003" section of fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tom" wrote in message
macropad - Thanks for the solution but it only goes to show how crap MS
software is and how arrogant Americans are. This happens on my machine
even
though my regional settings are set to English (Ireland). Why then should
Word default to the US date format, without giving me the option of
changing
this option?
This used not happen if Word previous to 2003.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Ames,

You can solve this by adding a date formatting switch to your mergefield.
To do this:
.. select the mergefield and press Shift-F9. You should see something
like: {MERGEFIELD myDate}
.. edit the field to include the formatting switch of your choice. For
example: {MERGEFIELD myDate \@ "d/M/yyyy"} or {MERGEFIELD
myDate \@ "ddd, d MMMM yyyy"}. The formatting options are the same as
you'd get in Excel.
.. press F9 to update the field
.. run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Ames" wrote in message
Hi there..

I am mail merging date fields from excel spreadsheet listed in format
24
September 2008 but when they come across into the word doc they display
as
the US date format 9/24/08.

I have checked the language settings to make sure they are English -
Australian (not US) on the word doc. I have tried selecting the correct
date
format when editing the toggle fields. I'm stuck! help!! ...any
suggestions??