Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Walter R.[_2_] Walter R.[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a universal file savings format?

I am upgrading to Win 7. Therefore I am looking for the "best" word
processing program, such as MS Word 2002 (which I am currently using), or MS
Word 2007, or Open Office.

Word 2002 is very fast and works fine. It saves files as .doc .

I played with Word 2007 and found it very bewildering and totally different
from Word 2002 (More eye candy). It saves files as docx.

I have not tried Open Office but I understand it saves files in a different
format yet: .sxw

Why did MS break with the ancient .doc suffix and why did they invent
..docx, which is not readable by anyone except the few owners of Word 2007? I
try to make my files readable by as many people as possible. Which system
is readable by the largest number of people?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Walter
www.rationality.net