Reenie

Default Worrd2003: Header/Footer Odd/Even Pages Page Numbering Section Br

I have a doc with 4 front matter pages and 30 main pages. It will be in
booklet form, so I need mirror margins. I used regular Page Breaks when
working on the doc. After finishing, I changed the break after the 4th page
to a Section break/Next Page.

In the Front Matter pages, I went to Page Setup/Layout and, per the
instructions of the Word documentation, chose nothing. With my cursor in the
main doc (Section 2), I went to Page Setup/Layout and chose Section Start:
New Page and checked on Header/Footerifferent odd/even....Apply to: This
section. Later on I tried Apply to: From this point forward.

In the doc, the front matter even pages had numbers; the odds didn't. The
main doc had all its page numbers (odd/even) correct. I spent about 3 hours
trying different combinations of breaks: I changed some to Section/Odd or
/Even, etc.

When I went back to the Page Setup for the front matter, it had the same
defaults as the main doc, even though I had re-set them, per the Word
doumentation, several times. Is this a bug in Word? I.E Does Apply to work
or not?

The only thing that solved this is that I read Suzanne Barnhill's article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and deleted the
Section break after the front matter and followed her direction to insert an
SectionBreak/OddPage IN FRONT of the section that started the main pages. Is
this the key? I have always inserted breaks AFTER the end of a section.

Now the Page Setup/Layout has slightly different settings. The only thing I
did was to insert the SectionBreak:OddPage before the 1st page of the main
doc. Thanks Suzanne!