Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default email merge

Yes, for Word 2003 I believe it's the registry you need to fix rather than
WIN.INI.

It may be easier to import the necessary values into the registry - there's
now a page at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

which covers the existing ground and provides the contents of a suitable
..reg file for copying/pasting into a Notepad file.

Peter Jamieson

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Peter Jamieson knows more about this, so maybe he will chip in? However
from one of his earlier posts -

You will need to edit the registry. Proceed with caution!

In your Windows folder, locate and run regedit.exe. If you're on an older
version of Windows you might need to use regedt32.exe.

Look for a key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi*crosoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

I would be surprised if it was not there in recent versions of Windows,
but if it is not, add it.

If it is there, I would expect to see
a. A subkey called MSMapiApps
b. A number of "values" with the same names as are in the above list -
MAPI, MAPIX etc.
c. An additional value called InstallCmd

If you cannot see the values, you need to add them. For each of the
values in the above list
d. Right click "Windows Messaging Subsystem" and select New|String Value.

Note that although some of these items have numeric values, they should
all
be entered as String Values.
e. Enter the name, as above
f. Double click on the name. A dialog box appears. Enter the value (e.g.
for the name CMCDLLNAME, enter mapi.dll) and click OK
g. You may also need to create the InstallCmd value, although I rather
doubt it. I am less sure about this and about what should go in there. On
my system, the value is:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection MSMAIL 132 msmail.inf

When you have done them all, press F5. Then close all copies of Word and
restart it - or restart Windows, then restart Word and see if the e-mail
option has appeared.

Mindy wrote:
I modified the file but it still doesn't give email as a way to merge.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

First, make sure that the e-mail program you want to use is set up
to be the default e-mail program (e.g. via Internet Explorer Tools
. Internet Options Programs.

Find the WIN.INI file in your Windows folder (typically c:\WINDOWS),
make a backup copy of it, and open it in Notepad.

Ensure that the following text is in there, and add it if not

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

You will need to close all copies of Word before this change has a
chance of taking effect. It is probably safest to restart Windows to
be completely sure.

If that isn't enough, you may need to edit the registry; however see
how you get on with the above first.

Mindy wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to do a email merge in word 2003. The directions say
to go to Tools, Letters and Mailmerge and under select document
type, click E-mail message. The problem is under select document
type, I have letters, envelopes, labels, and directory. How can I
add email messages?