Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Widen Header area w/o affecting text area

The indent markers are the small triangles on the ruler. You can tell where
the margin area start because it has a different color. Rest the mouse
pointer on an indent marker; you will see in a screen tip what kind of
indent you can set with that particular marker. When the mouse pointer is on
a margin marker, it will display as a double arrow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
Suzanne:
[ Oh, forgot to mention: I'm using Word 2002. ]
I tried Stefan's method in one section, and it worked. I went into the
header, then selected Format Paragraph, and under "Indentation", I typed
in
-1 and it worked; then tried -.5, and that worked, too.
I think the margin markers are the facing triangular shapes, but I'm not
sure I know what the "indent markers" on the ruler are. What do they look
like?
---PatR
P.S. I read a number of your posts on the discussion groups about headers
and footers, and found them enlightening. It's great that individuals
such
as yourself share your knowledge with those of us are abysmally ignorant
of
Word's intricacies (and basics).
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Stefan says, you do this with negative indents. You can do this on the
ruler; just be sure you're grabbing the indent markers rather than the
margin markers.

"Patrick Riley" wrote in message
In a section, I want to widen the Header area horizontally
(left-to-right),
without widening the text area in the main body of the document. Is
there
way to do this?
From within the Header, I tried grabbing the triangular-shaped guide
(or
whatever it's called) on the ruler, but doing so widened the text area
as
well.
PatR