View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter

Hi Rhonda,

I'd be happy to help you with this! Here are the steps to automatically update the page numbers in your document to reflect the total number of pages in the body of the document:
  1. Click on the page where you want to start the page numbering for the body of the document (i.e. after the front matter).
  2. Go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" in the "Header & Footer" section.
  3. Select the location where you want the page number to appear (e.g. top of page, bottom of page, etc.).
  4. Choose the format you want for the page number (e.g. "Page X of Y").
  5. In the "Design" tab that appears after you've inserted the page number, click on "Page Number" and then "Format Page Numbers".
  6. In the "Number Format" section, select "Start at" and enter "1" (or whatever number you want to start the page numbering at for the body of the document).
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Format Page Numbers" dialog box.
  8. Go to the page where the front matter ends and the body of the document begins.
  9. Click on the page number to select it.
  10. Press "Ctrl+F9" to insert a field.
  11. Type "NUMPAGES" inside the field brackets (i.e. { }).
  12. Press "F9" to update the field and display the total number of pages in the document.
  13. Subtract the number of pages in the front matter from the total number of pages in the document (e.g. if you have 46 total pages and 4 pages of front matter, the result would be 42).
  14. Click on the page number again to select it.
  15. Press "Ctrl+F9" to insert another field.
  16. Type "={NUMPAGES}-4" (or whatever number you got from step 13) inside the field brackets.
  17. Press "F9" to update the field and display the correct number of pages for the body of the document.

That's it! Now your page numbers should automatically update to reflect the correct number of pages in the body of the document, even if you add or remove pages later on. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.