Joe McGuire

Thanks for all your help. It took a while to get it working right but the
job is done! As it turned out, I was not really "Finding" everything and I
had to tinker around with that part of it. A lot, actually. Sue's
suggestion to Search for "Interrogatory No. ^# found the single digit
numbers but searching for the samething with ^## did not find double digit
numbers. I read a lengthy MVPS paper on Using Wildcards
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm) and found that the
most reliable way to Find all the strings in each category was to search for
"Interrogatory No. *:" and do the same for each of the other 2 categories.
Skipping the ":" made a mess. Before actually having Word "Replace All" I
was careful to run through each category to be sure I would "get" all or
nearly all I was really looking for.

Note: I was stumped by so many instances of the Find/Replace skipping over
text that exactly matched my Search (I looked as carefully as I could).
Just to be sure I tried searching only for simple parts of the string (e.g.,
"Interrogatory") and the search skipped over them just the same. The source
document was a PDF file, itself a scan of a faxed document, which my
secretary then converted into Word (actually it ended up as an RTF file--I
don't press her on the details of how she does this stuff--she starts to
hyperventilate when dealing with anything byond the most elementary aspects
of Word and threatens to quit). So I figure something bizarre was going on
like invizzzible characters. Ones that only some secret part of the
computer can see.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
I am looking for a nice way to, in effect, find strings of text in a
lengthy
Word document and modify them, such as Underlining, or even apply a style,
even a character style, which obviously would leave me free to change even
that formatting later on with ease. I don't actually want to replace the
text. The catch is that the strings, each of which is at the beginning of
paragraph, end with a number immediately preceding a colon. For example
"Interrogatory No. 5:", "Interrogatory No. 6:" and so on. There are 3
variations on those strings, the first being the one above, the second
being
Request to Admit No. n: " and the other "Request to Produce No. n:", with
representing the sequential numbering of these items.

Is there a way to do this with Find and Replace? I figured out how to
find
the strings using wildcards, but I can't figure how to replace with with
the
same text (or just keep the text) but with new formatting or a character
style. Instead I am getting "Interrogatory*" literally.

(Of course, we did not create this document)