Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Caption and text all on one line, different styles

Distressed wrote:
2. I don't have a problem with the numbering using captions, but I thought
that Autotext would number things automatically? It seemed to yesterday, but
now I am wondering if it was just because things had originally been captions.
What is the point of Autotext if all it does is paste in a word? If you use
Autotext is there no way for it to number automatically without using the
caption function? In which case, I am back to square 1 with the formatting
problem.

yes there is, and if you had stayed in the original thread and asked...
but anyway. :-)

I can't quite believe that if you create a caption in Word it HAS TO TREAT
the WHOLE line as a Caption. There MUST be some way to have a split of
formats on one line surely?

I like Stefan's table approach (it's one easy way to separate
formatting); another would be to use a style separator; what I'm
proposing though is a simple AutoText. But to get the numbering correct,
you have to

1. create one caption first in the desired numbering setup (including
heading numbering),
2. make sure that the caption style is not bold,
3. follow the number with a tab character (set the tabstop through the
caption style to your liking),
4. format everything but the tab character as "bold",
5. then select the whole paragraph including paragraph mark and create
the AutoText from that.

Now, your AutoText will appear under the "category" Caption (which is
the style). Wherever you insert it, you now have a line with the label
in bold, followed by an unbolded tab. When you start to write the actual
text, it will be not bolded.

HTH
Robert
--