Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
me13013 me13013 is offline

Default Aligning figures to bottom of page, WITH working bookmarks

On Oct 16, 7:31 am, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote (qutoing others):
For justifying "half sentences" and avoiding they run towards the end
of the line insert a tab after the period at the end of the sentence
before hitting enter.

YESSS!! Thanks. That was the magic mushroom I was looking for in my
first attempted solution. I'll have to try that to see if it works.

yes it does.

I couldn't get Henk's tab thing to work. But re-reading what he
wrote, I think it's intended to solve a differenrt problem.

And depending on compatibility settings (in Winword, that's
Tools | Options | Compatibility: Don't expand character spaces on a line
that ends with SHIFT-RETURN), you can get justification to work on lines
ending with SHIFT-RETURN also, without the tab.

Thanks. SHIFT-RETURN does what I was looking for. A justify-both-
sides paragraph that ends with a SHIFT-RETURN justifies both sides of
the bottom line. That's what I was looking for.

I've "typeset" (more than) my share of theses in the 90s, and with Word.
You can certainly create more caption categories. One of the students
came up with an interesting idea: use one generic category for all (so
you don't end up with possibly quite short "table of Figures", "table of
Tables", "table of whatnot".

Thanks. Next time I will know to use that.

But things should work with your own bookmarks as well. In Frames, for
instance. Not sure why this does not yield good results with you: maybe
you're better off asking in a mac-office group, if more problems arise.

I asked in microsoft.public.word.mac but got no answers. Looking
there now, I see that the group is not active. Only 9 posts this year
(yet, four of those are replies; odd).

(chuckle) It did not occur to me that there are separate forum/groups
for office and word, since word is a subset of office. I see now
there is a microsoft.public.office.mac forum, though I think my
chances of getting answers there are slim too, considering the traffic
level (more posts than microsoft.public.word.mac, but much lower
freequency of replies).

But ultimately, you do typeset manually here. Only once.

I am quite surprised by that. Well, in one sense I am. I think I
should expect a mature word processing program to be able to do that.
C'est la vie.

Your thesis is
worth it. In large documents that change a lot, you probably settle with
some white space here and there more easily.

HTH

Yes, it did, thanks.