Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default restart numbering/style creation strategy

Whats the safest/smartest way to restart numbering in Word 2007?

The situation here is a style has been created with a number 1 + tab and
applied to the body text paragraphs. However, some documents have many lists
that need to restart at number 1. Should the users be told to right-click
and choose restart at 1?

I recently read MVP Margaret Aldis article, €śHow to restart style-based
numbering,€ť but it is geered to W97-2003 for the MAC. The article mentions,
€ś€¦restart list numbering has been implicated in building up extra list
templates in documents, changing list template names, and losing links
between list templates and styles.€ť This leads me to think right-clicking
restart numbering is creating instability!

Finally, what strategy should be taken when defining a paragraph style in a
new Word template for mass consumption where users have to restart
numbering? I need to develop a template and want to save users (and myself!)
grief with numbering gone awry.

Guidance would be appreciated .