Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default cross references fail to update

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!! A cross reference to an example in this group from
30 pages later updated itself properly.

As someone said the other day, "It's just Word being Word."

On Jan 22, 3:40*pm, grammatim wrote:
This could be serious. I have my first chapter back from an author.

She changed the order of a few examples (for instance, the old (43) is
now before the old (42)).

I rearranged the two examples, and they renumbered themselves
properly.

I selected the text containing the cross references to the renumbered
items and pressed F9 -- and the cross references changed so that both
the old (42) and the new (42) are referenced as (42), and Ctrl-
clicking on the hyperlink takes me to (42) for both of them.

For this one case it's not a problem, but it will be a very serious
problem in that superlong chapter with over 1000 cross references,
some at a great distance, especially since in the ms. the author had
omitted one numbered example so I inserted an empty numbered paragraph
so the cross references would read as intended, and when I delete the
empty paragraph, every example after it and all the cross references
to them will have to decrease by 1 (even if there are no insertions,
deletions, or rearrangements).

Word2003.