Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default When does Word access a specified template?

It seems to me you've answered your own question: your business associate
does not have access to the server where the template is stored.

http://word.mvps.org

"bufossil" wrote in message
Thank you Suzanne, the article by Shauna was informative. Unfortunately,
the
article did not answer my question.

Question: Why does Word 2007 access the template on the remote server when
open the document, but it does not access the template on the remote
server
when my SME opens the document?

Thank you in advance for sharing any ideas.

Tim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

http://word.mvps.org

"bufossil" wrote in message
I am using Word 2007.

I create user guides for software. The template we use
("userguide.dot")
is
saved and stored on a server that is located in another state. (For
example,
I work in Kansas, and the physical location of the server on which the
template is stored is in Michigan.)

When I open the Word document on my local PC, a window pops up that
shows
me
the path to the template on the server in Michigan that Word is
accessing
in
order to open the document. For example, the window says...

Opening: \\Michiganserver\sharedrive\path\path\path\use rguide.dot

However, when I send the Word document to an analyst for a SME review,
the
analyst (who does not have access privileges to the server in Michigan)
can
open the Word document without using the template--and the document
seems
be formatted and looks just fine.

Can someone explain why Word uses the "userguide.dot" template in
Michigan
when I open the file, but Word does not use the "userguide.dot"
template
when
my business analyst associate opens the file?

Thank you!

Tim

.