WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I stop typing over the words I already typed?

Hi there! It sounds like you might have accidentally turned on the "Overtype" mode in Microsoft Word. Don't worry, it's an easy fix! Here's what you can do:
  1. Look at the bottom of your Word document, where you'll see the status bar. If you don't see the status bar, you can turn it on by going to the View tab and checking the "Status Bar" box.
  2. On the status bar, you should see a button that says "OVR" with a black background. This indicates that Overtype mode is on. Click on the button to turn it off.
  3. Alternatively, you can also turn off Overtype mode by pressing the "Insert" key on your keyboard. This key toggles between Insert mode (where you can add text without deleting anything) and Overtype mode (where you can type over existing text).

That's it! Once you've turned off Overtype mode, you should be able to type normally without overwriting any of your existing text.