Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel Rachel is offline

Default Word document opening in Word Pad

I'm sorry Herb, this makes no sense to me. Perhaps there is a more simple
answer.

I just bought Office 2007 and installed it on my laptop. Now, every time I
open a Word document one of my students sends me through email, it opens in
Wordpad and shows a bunch of garbled language. My students have brand new
laptops to use and they all have Office 2007. If I download the document and
save it, then try to open it, I still get Wordpad and the garbled language.
However, if I open Word first, then choose "Open" (document), I am able to
open the saved student work. It is very frustrating. I am used to just
clicking on the file and having the file open no problem. It just won't do
it.

I can't open Power Points either.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You might try Help - Detect and Repair. Does that restore/repair the
associations?

If not, then take a look he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q210565/

to see if reregistering via the /r switch helps. If the problem also occurs
with other Office applications, however, I suspect it's a broader
installation issue that can't be fixed simply by using Word's /r switch.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"bah" wrote in message
news
When I copy a document from the network to my lap top, the document opens
in
Word Pad rather than Word. What is causing this problem and how do I fix
it?
I also noticed that PowerPoint files copied down do not open and do not
even
show that they are PowerPoint documents. This is a new lap top and the
Office SUite was installed on it recently.