Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Thumbpick Thumbpick is offline

Default How do I mail merge onto 4-up postcards?

I apologize for the second post... I'm new to these forums and thought the
first post would only go to CJP and nobody else would see it.

Thanks so much.... it works perfectly.

One add'l question: Can I also get it to print postal bar codes? I know how
to do that for envelopes and labels but don't see an option for it in MM.

Thanks again.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Why the second post?

The simplest solution is probably to treat the merge as a letter merge
rather than a label merge, but starting with the label layout.
Divide each of the four postcards into two (the table drawing tool is
perhaps the simplest solution) and then treat each pair of cells as one
postcard. Put your data as required in the left and right cells of the
'card' and put a NEXT record field at the start of the second, third and
fourth cards only (in the left cell).

If you are merging to both sides of the card you'll need to revise your data
file - http://www.gmayor.com/duplex_merge_data.htm

Thumbpick wrote:
I'd like to piggyback on this series if I may. I'm using 4-up
postcards and can get the mail merge to work on a blank postcard
(i.e., one w/o text from me).

However, I want to type info on the left of the card and mail merge
the addresses in the usual (mid to lower right) of the cards. What
happens is I get an error message: "You cannot include DATA, NEXT,
NEXTIF, or SKIPIF fields in comments, headers, footers, footnotes, or
endnotes."

I've tried using tabs, text boxes, etc. Cannot get it to work. Would
appreciate any help you could provide.

I read all thru Mayor's website and cannot find this problem
addressed (no pun intended).

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

In the label options dialog, select the 8387 - Post Card from the
list of Avery standard Label products.

For more information, see the article "Mailmerge Labels with Word
XP" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"CJP" wrote in message
I'm using Avery 8387 and want to mail merge addresses 4 per page,
one on each
postcard. I have a template for 2-up that allows for this, but
can't find one
for 4-up. How do I set this up?

I've been an Adobe junkie for many years, and am presently learning
more features of the Office suite. Help, please!

CJP