Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Default word 97 compared to word 2003 html format

The improvements are "dramatic". Word 2003 offers XML as a parallel native
format.

Please understand that Word does not, and never did, write "HTML". HTML is
a simple language from the beginning of the web. It does not have enough
power to fully describe a Word document: that's why if you save as a web
page in Word 97, then try to bring the result back as a document, you will
lose data and formatting.

Word 2003 writes full-featured XML, which does have the power to fully
describe anything Word 2003 can create. You will get a "perfect"
round-trip.

Hope this helps

On 28/3/06 11:36 AM, in article
, "HK"
wrote:

Hi,

I have been using Word 97 to create the text sections of the web site
"levittownbristolkiwanis.com". I have created text and calendar sections.

Is there a substantial improvement in the html function of Word 2003 over
Word 97?

Word 97 is working ok. However. I have not found help in print for 97's
html mode.
I had to learn by trial an error. The most diffictult lesson was learning
that html and native mode are seperate functions and switching from one to
the other causes corruption in both. Word works great in HTML as long as you
keep it seperate from the native word format. To reformat html for printing
by saving the html as a native Word doc is a real pain. Does 2003 address
any of these concerns or is it basically the same.

Howie

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410