Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Slow startup

If you set the 'prompt before saving the normal template' option (Word
Options Advanced Save), you can choose what you allow to be saved in the
normal template. The normal template in Word 2007 is quite small compared
with it predecessors, and mine, despite the presence of many macros, loads
in 2.5 seconds. Not instantly I grant you, but it does what it is supposed
to do - store personalisations!

Robert wrote:
Word launches actually much faster, almost instantaneously. So the
benefits are huge as far as I am concerned.
It so happened that Word 2007 was launching slower and slower at each
new run on my system.
Word 2007 might not be working as it is intended by MS but it is now
working to my satisfaction! What more would I want?

This said, I donˇ¦t have any plug-in installed.
And I donˇ¦t understand what might be causing this gradual and
persistent slow-downˇK
I can only think of what you suggested yourself, i.e. that some
changes are systematically saved each time I shut Word down. And they
take more time to load at each new run.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:30:07 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

It might be faster, but it is now incapable of working as intended,
so it is a ridiculous idea.
If Word starts slowly, there is a good reason for it and that is
usually to do with add-ins (though Word 2003 will start slowly next
time it is started after saving a change to normal.dot)