Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default multiple indexes

Follow-up:

The Word2007 list of Field Codes does indeed list "\f" for creating multiple
indexes, but there are no instructions on how to use them.

Experiment 1: Mark some Index Entries and insert \fa, \fb, \fc, \fd in the
first few. Click "Insert Index." It inserts an index holding every index
entry.

Display the field code and add \fa to the code. It doesn't pick out the \fa
index entries.

Experiment failed.

Experiment II:

Mark some Index Entries and insert the \f-codes in all of them. Click "Insert
Index." It claims "No index entries found." Display field code and insert \fa
and Update Field. It makes an index containing just the \fa entries.

Experiment succeeded.

(I didn't check whether the \ switches need to be in alphabetical order -- the
Index field automatically includes \c for number of columns and \z for language.
I put the \fa after the \c and didn't try putting it first.)

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 11:53:10 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
"Word2013 Bible" has one paragraph on creating multiple indexes in a Word file (using the
switch \fa, \fb, etc., in each index entry). It doesn't say what happens when you
insert the index -- do the indexes come out in the a, b, c, order of the switches? Can
they be reordered within the Index Field?

But more important: Was this an innovation later than Word2007, or will it work in the older version?

No reference I have on Word2007 mentions such a thing (I don't have Bible), but none
of them are at all helpful on anything involving fields.