Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default How to delete the last section break?

As Suzanne pointed out, you don't have to copy the settings one by one. This
is also explained in the article that I linked to.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:57:38 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

Make sure that the settings of section 2 (page setup, columns, headers and
footers) are identical to those of section 1; then you can delete the
section break. For more, see the "If you really want to delete the
temporary
section break ..." section of the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

That article tells me that there is no way to delete the last section
of a multi-section document without affecting the properties of the
preceding section.

There are work-arounds involving (a) manually copying the section
properties one by one or (b) inserting an extra section break at the
end of the document to "wall off" that final invisible section break.

This is very inconvenient.

I just discovered that not only can I not delete that dummy section,
but I cannot change it to "continuous", either. I presume that this is
because it has a different orientation, which cannot be changed in the
middle of a page. This means that not only will my document forever
have an extraneous section break at the end, but also a blank page.
This means that the "total number of pages" variable will be off. It
also means that when printing I'll have to remember manually select
all but the last page to print or have a blank poage to throw away.