Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Multiple Outline Numbered Lists in One Document

Hi Greg

--gr3gw wrote:
Just recently, I've mastered outline numbered and bulleted lists. Now I have
one set of style definitions for each with nine levels in each.

Just curious: what would you need all 9 levels for?

In some documents, I want to 'break' the the first numbered list and start a
second. I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Using 'restart
numbering' restarts the numbering but it is the same 'list'.

The reason I want to break the list is because, by default, the numbering of
the top level list style starts in column 1. Further down the document I may
want to start a new list indented (with demote) by the second level amount.
If I renumber and demote, the whole list gets demoted.

Hmm, this sounds dangerously too much as not using styles for your
numbering (which would be error #1), and/or using the same style for
different content type or layout (#2).

#2 is actually one of the main "mantras" in structured documents: use
styles (almost) exclusively.

If you haven't already skimmed through the following articles, it might
be a good time to start. With emphasis on Margaret Aldis' text on
restart numbering.

Ins and outs of bullets and numbering in Word

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/
How to restart style-based numbering (by Margaret Aldis)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm
Word's numbering explained (by John McGhie)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a616aec?hl=en&

HTH
Robert