Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stman stman is offline

Default Caption alignment

When I add a caption to my images, I want to keep the caption centered under
the image. My images are not centered on the page. They are left aligned. For
example, I have a left-aligned image that spans from the 1" mark on the ruler
(from the margin) to is 5" mark. I add a caption, center it, and move the
right-margin ruler marker to the 5" mark. The caption then sits centered
below the width of the image.

In order to avoid directly formatting the caption each time to center it, I
centered it in the Caption style. I would then only have to align the
right-margin ruler marker each time I added a caption, depending on the width
of the image. However, it seems that when you add a caption, it inherits the
alignment of the paragraph before it (the image). Since my images are left
aligned, the captions are always left aligned too, even though the style says
centered. I have to "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection",
that useful action that Microsoft went and hid a few versions ago.

Any idea how to get the Caption style to not take on the alignment of the
paragraph before? This seems to go against the very purpose of styles.