Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Caption alignment

OK, now I see what you mean. Word is trying to be helpful, changing the
alignment of the caption paragraph so that it matches that of the paragraph
containing the picture. (Note that, in a similar way, if you add a caption
to a centered inline picture, the caption will be centered.)

What you can do is select both paragraphs and press Ctrl+Q to restore the
paragraph formatting to the settings of the style. Then add a frame around
them (there is an Insert Frame button on the Forms toolbar) and set the
desired placement options for the frame.

Alternatively, don't use a frame but create a custom style with the
appropriate left indent defined and apply the style to both the picture and
caption paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"stman" wrote in message
Oh yeah, sorry.

But my images *are* "In line with text", and the Caption style is still
overridden. Try this simple example again with a Normal stylesheet:

- Paste in an image. By default it is pasted "In line with text".
- Right-align it (just click the toolbar button).
- Right-click on the image and choose Caption.
- Enter anything in the dialog and OK.

The caption becomes right aligned.

???

------------

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You missed the highlighted phrase: - when you add a caption to a picture
that is *not* "In line
with text" If the picture is inserted in line, the picture and the
caption
are inserted in the text layer. If the picture is not in line, the
caption
is inserted in a text box.

stman wrote:
Hmm, are you saying that captions are on the drawing layer? I don't
think this is the case with me. I'm using Word 2003 and I can clearly
just hit the right arrow key to move the cursor from the main text,
past the image, and then in and through the caption, which wouldn't
be possible with a test box.

Can you confirm?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that when you add a caption to a picture that is *not* "In line
with text" the caption will be placed inside a text box; this
explains why it appears to override the settings of the style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP