Andy

Some occurrences of direct formatting are of course "allowed" even in
documents that strictly use styles. However, if you find that you need
to use direct formatting to get a specific effect (formatting the
first paragraph after a heading would be one such case!), it is really
more appropriate to create a style for it.

I'm seeing that. It just seemed silly to have a separate style when the
only difference was a larger Space After.

So my new rule of thumb is to create a new style if I'm going to have
more than one occurrence of that set of formatting details.

Thanks,

Andy