Good for you! That's my principle as well, but I don't always adhere to it!

"Andy" wrote in message
Some occurrences of direct formatting are of course "allowed" even in
documents that strictly use styles. However, if you find that you need
to use direct formatting to get a specific effect (formatting the
first paragraph after a heading would be one such case!), it is really
more appropriate to create a style for it.

I'm seeing that. It just seemed silly to have a separate style when the
only difference was a larger Space After.

So my new rule of thumb is to create a new style if I'm going to have
more than one occurrence of that set of formatting details.

Thanks,

Andy