Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default How do I keep a template attached when sending to folks off-site?

Hi Cheryl,

My problem is when sending these files as attachments in email, or when
users save the files to their local drives, the template unattaches.

That isn't actually correct. The template remains 'attached' to the
document.

When Word opens a document it follows a set of rules about which actual
template to open, taking into account, but not necessarily using, the
attached one. In particular it uses a template in the same folder as the
document in preference to the attached one if it has the same name (name
only, not path) as the attached one.

If you send your document and template together in a single folder then, if
that folder is saved by the recipient and the document in it opened, the
template in it will be used.

If users save local copies they need to save a copy of the template in the
same location as well. You could, perhaps, write a special save-to-local
macro which copied the template and document together.

--
Enjoy,
Tony