Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default defining table cells using empty lines

When you say "line" do you mean paragraph (ie one press of the Enter key).
The convert will take these paragraph marks as the "cell extent".
You can use Find/Replace to help you.
To delete the superfluous paragraph Find "^p^p" (that is Shift+6, lower case
'p', without the quotes) and replace with ^p.
Are the numbers, "150" etc. followed by a Tab? Are they autonumbers?
Use Table, Text to Table, check the Tabs for "separate text at".
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Jo McKenzie" wrote:

Hi, I have a large Word (2003) document consisting of item descriptions. Most
descriptions are more than a line long and each are separated by an empty
line. I'd like to turn this into a table, but converting to table merely
splits each separate line into a cell. I'd like each description to be in one
cell. Is there any way to create a table where Word uses an empty line to
mark each cell extent? Here's an e.g. of the data:

150 Yoke shafted and hump backed pin. Shank tapers to fine point and
has rounded section. Displays general polish. (Ill. ).
Context: Period VI: S Entrance; Middle Ditch E Terminal; laminated
midden and weathered materials. Length: 69 mm.

151 Yoke shouldered and slightly hump backed pin. Shank tapers to
point and has squarish section. Displays general polish. (Ill. ).
Context: Period VI/VII: S Terminal of Outer Ditch in E Entrance Area
Length: 61 mm.

The data has originally come from an old text file converted into Word,
therefore there are sometimes odd spacings between text characters and the
numbers you see at the beginning of each record - which I'm sure may make it
more difficult to do what I want to do.

I'd like the data to go into excel eventually, so any suggestions involving
taking the data straight into excel would be welcome too.

Thanks very very much if someone could help!

cheers,

Jo