Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Veera Veera is offline

Default Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007

Thanks Graham. We are able to set the values in merge fields by unprortecting
th document and protecting it. But since the protection allow Editing of Form
Fields the user would like to delete the entries populated and set their own
values. While deleting is when we are getting this error.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Mail merge and protected forms are mutually exclusive. You *may* be able to
get around this - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

"Veera" wrote in message
Hi Macropad,

Sorry for the confusion.

We have documents that contains "Text Form Field". Inside these text form
fields we add MERGEFIELD (programatically in Java using JACOB). The
document
is protected allowing only editing form fields.

As part of another Java program we open the document created above and set
the values for the MERGEFIELD. The users can either use the values
populated
or remove and add their own values. This we were able to do in 2003. In
Word
2007 we are not able to delete the value populated and enter our another
value. It gives "This is not a valid selection" message.

Hope I am clear now.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

This is getting confusing!

Now you're introducing mergefields. Mergefields are not formfields and
neither are they Date fields. Please be clear about what kind
of fields you're working with and what kind of document they're in.

Are you working with a:
1. document containing formfields, that has forms protection applied;
2. mailmerge main document;
3. mailmerge output file; or
4. standard Word document with no formfields or mergefields, but perhaps
other fields (eg Date)?
If it's:
.. 1, does the document also have fields that are not formfields (eg Date
fields, but not mergefields)?
.. 2 or 3, does the document also have formfields or fields that are not
formfields (eg Date fields)?
If it's 1, 2 or 3 and the document also has fields that are not
formfields, what kinds of fields are they and are those fields in a
protected Section of the document?
If it's 2 or 3 and the document also has formfields, what kinds of
formfields are they?

Note: the addition of the 'mergeformat' switch, which Word sometimes adds
to a field, does not make the field a mergefield.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message
Hi Macropad,

Just for testing we used Date field. In the actual template we have
merge
fields which when accessed thru' the application we have, will be
populated
with actual values. The user then should be able to modify the values
populated with their own values. When they trying remove the populated
value
is when they are getting the error.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Veera,

You mention a Word date field. These are not formfields and are not
editable in a Section protected for forms in any version of
Word.

Any formfields into which data can be input after protection has been
applied should remain editable unless there's an on-exit
macro
attached to the formfield to change it's editing restrictions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Veera" wrote in message
news We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We
inserted a
word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in
Forms. After
protecting the document when we try going to the form field and
clicking on
back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid
selection" message
box.

We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We
were
able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the
documents
to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the
entries we get
the above error.

.

.