Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default long hyphen

lowercase.

On Apr 11, 5:29*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Historically, an en dash/space is the width of a capital N in the given
font, the em dash/space the width of M (hence the names). Pace the Chicago
Manual, I don't know of any font in which an en dash/space is half the width
of an em dash/space.

I am aware that "the space of the line" is variable, but by "ordinary space"
I refer to the width of a space in unjustified text (or of a nonbreaking
space).

"grammatim" wrote in message

You might think so, but see the Chicago Manual p. 828 (glossary) s.v.
em and en.

Ordinary spaces are variable, since the default until fairly recently
was justified text.

FrameMaker also gives you a Numerical space (the width of each digit
in the font, for aligning columns without using right-tabs) and a
Hairspace.

On Apr 11, 9:32 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In any case, I would expect double en space to be longer than an em space.
gauge ordinary spaces, en spaces, and em spaces to be in approximately a
1:2:3 proportion.

"grammatim" wrote in message

In the Bullets & Numbering panes, you can specify the characters
(including spaces) that appear after the autonumbers. "Double en"
should be the same as em space.

Oops, I'm thinking of FrameMaker again, which includes both of
those ...

On Apr 10, 7:05 pm, Malcolm Patterson

wrote:
Hmm. If Office were installed on my machine as a British English
package,
could agree with you sometimes--if you were using the en dash in lieu of
an
American em dash. OTOH, I think the Brits use the en-dash as we do in
America
for spanning a range (closed up), so to me (in the States, where the en
dash
is ALWAYS closed up) this is nothing but an annoying bug. My Canadian
neighbors will have to manage their usual balancing act.

Meanwhile, I do as you do: keyboard shortcuts whenever available.

I do wish there were a standard shortcut for the double en space (after
heading numerals and before the heading text) and the thin space (for
footnotes, etc.).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
The space before and after the en dash are correct for the way it is
being
used; in the U.K. a spaced en dash is used where an em dash (without
spaces)
is used in the U.S. There is no AutoFormat option that will produce an
en
dash between continuous numbers or elsewhere to indicate "to." For
that
you
have to use a keyboard shortcut; I just find it easier to use keyboard
shortcuts for both dashes all the time.

"Malcolm Patterson" wrote
in
This is true, but alas, when you get an en dash in this manner, the
space
before the dash remains, which is incorrect (it *must* be removed to
correctly punctuate the document).

An en dash can be inserted with Ctrl+Num- (the minus key in the
numeric
keypad)

An em dash can be inserted with Ctrl+Alt+Num-

Both can be inserted using the Insert/Symbol menu's special
characters
tab.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have the relevant option selected in Tools | AutoCorrect |
AutoFormat
As You Type, Word performs the following conversions:

If you type -- (two hyphens) between words with no spaces before or
after,
the two hyphens will be converted to an em dash when you type a
space
or
punctuation following the word after the hyphens.

If you type one or two hyphens betweens words with a space before
or
space
before and after, you'll get an en dash instead.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"BorisS" wrote in message
there is a behavior that Word has which extends a hyphen followed
by
text
into a long hyphen. What is this, and how can I control it? I
actually
like
it, but because I don't know what drives it, cannot always
replicate it
for
some reason. Is this some sort of symbol it defaults to replacing
regular
hyphen with? Or something else?--