Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Insert col in Word table

An alternative solution would be to split one of the existing columns. Select
the column you want to split into two or more columns. Then select Table
Split Cells. In the "Split Cells" dialog box, turn off "Merge cells before
split", select the desired number of columns and click OK. The table will
retain its original width.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Campbell" wrote:

How can I insert a column in a Word table without having the table expand
beyond the width of the screen? I wish to adjust the column widths after to
make it fit.