David A Edge

Thank you for your continuing interest.

I followed the link and read the article indicated. It seems not directly
pertinent, but it prompted me to install my printer for Word 2002. (I have a
laptop, a Compaq, and currently use no other machine. I have installed two
operating systems (dual-booting) and two word processing packages: (1) MS
Word Vs 6.0 for DOS (Vs 6.21), exactly as it was on my previous laptop; (2)
MS Word 2002 (Windows XP Home). I have only one printer, the only one I have
ever had: an HP DJ310.)

I then printed an appropriate page (from Word 2002), and the underscore
character was there, printed properly, despite its not being visible on
screen.

Furthermore, with the cursor positioned on screen at the (invisible)
underscore, the Reveal Formatting pane exhibited the Selected Text as an
underscore (visible).

As a point of interest, I considered using an underlined non-breaking space
as a work-around. (That character is typographically indistinguishable, by
me, from the underscore.) It displays entirely satisfactorily on screen
while the underscore refuses to display at all (unless I clear the version of
Courier introduced during conversion via RTF, and apply a font which, as
explained before, I would prefer not to use: viz, Courier New).

I am wondering whether it is possible to install additional Courier fonts in
Word 2002 (at least one of them to be identical, if possible, to that in Word
for DOS). If so, how? And from where?

I would very much like to be able to resolve this problem. It may be that,
as I delve further into Word 2002, I shall discover a satisfactory solution.
(I am proceeding cautiously before finally deciding how best to convert my
(previously existing) files from Word for DOS to Word 2002. They contain the
work of many years, which is still in progress and has some distance to go.)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The ability to display fonts is determined by the current printer driver and
the font outlines available. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm .

David A Edge wrote:
Thanks for the reply, which I appreciate.

I have already got a copy of the converter you suggest, DOSWRD32.CNV,
which I had rejected in favour of the RTF route. I find that both
options have shortcomings in converting symbols; and though the first
succeeds with the underscore, the converted page length does not
match so nearly my accustomed page length - in Courier font - as does
the RTF option. (Text requires a greater length of page than before,
though the width is unaffected.)

It seems my originally-stated problem (non-displaying underscore) may
be a result of Courier incompatibility between Word for DOS and Word
2002. In Word 2002, I have now discovered that I can make the
hitherto non-displayed underscores appear on screen by selecting a
suitable block of text, including paragraph marks, and changing the
font to Courier New (the only Courier option available). But this
also has the effect of expanding that block of text height-wise - so
I might as well have used DOSWRD32.CNV. (I would prefer to stick
with Courier, at least initially. It seems odd that Word 2002 should
be less efficient than Word for DOS in that respect.)

I shall root around a bit more. But I would appreciate any additional
informed comment.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The Word for DOS filter is linked from the downloads page of my web
site. I do not claim it will work any better, but it would save some
time and can be used with the batch conversion wizard.

David A Edge wrote:
I use the underscore character (_) regularly. Just now, I am in the
process of transferring from Word for DOS to Word 2002, converting
my data files via RTF. I find that some RTF files opened in Word
2002 accept and display the underscore quite normally, but others
refuse to do so (whether via the keyboard or as an inserted
symbol). And yet the very same RTF files opened in Word for DOS
all accept and display the underscore without any problem. What
must I do to ensure that any RTF file (and any other file) opened
in Word 2002 will accept and display the underscore?