Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default alternate page numbers

What Richard explained should do exactly what you want if your header or
footer contains only a page number inserted via Insert Page Numbers or via
the Header and Footer toolbar (the page number on even pages will be aligned
left, the page number on odd pages will be aligned right). The €śOutside€ť
option only affects the page number, i.e. other types of content in the
header (or footer) will be placed identically on even and odd pages.

Another possibility that lets you set up different headers/footers on even
and odd pages:
Select File Page Setup Layout tab. Below €śHeaders and Footers€ť, select
€śDifferent odd and even€ť.

Now go to the header or footer (depending on where your page number is
found). Note that you will now see the text €śEven page header/footer€ť and
€śOdd page header/footer€ť above the headers/footers. Change the even and odd
headers (or footers) to the layout you want.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"blu_lagoon" wrote:

Thanks, but that's not it. I want to "alternate" the page numbers between
left and right side of the document. Anyone else know? I did this once but
can't find it again.

"Richard O. Neville" wrote:

In the Insert Page Numbers dialog box, there is a drop-down list called
"Alignment." Select "Outside" to get what you want.

"blu_lagoon" wrote in message
How do I alternate page numbers in a document? Ex: p. 1 is on the right of
the page, p.2 is on the left of the page, p.3 is on the right of the page,
etc. etc.