Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Removing Header and Footer Sections

No, Word has always had headers and footers, but until Word 2007 you
couldn't just double-click to access the header or footer space before text
had been entered: you had to use View | Header and Footer (somewhat
unintuitive since there was not yet any header/footer text to "view"). But
they always inherently existed by virtue of there being header and footer
margins, and when you did "view" the header or footer, it was surrounded by
a dotted line indicating the space reserved for it. The display in Word 2007
is different, but the concept is still exactly the same.

Interestingly, if I open/create a blank document in Word 2007, double-click
in the header area, double-click back in the document body, and then click
the X to close, Word asks if I want to save the document. Despite the fact
that the Undo arrow is not enabled, Word seems to feel that something has
happened to change the document, perhaps that a header has been "created."

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I think I get it now. I had Word 2000 before I upgraded to Word 2007
a few months ago and I don't remember seeing header and footer sections
automatically inserted into the document which became visible when you
clicked on the top or bottom of the page. Seemed to be something new, so
maybe it was introduced with Word 2003.

At any rate, I think I solved my dilemma by clicking the header and footer
sections and changing the "Header from Top" and "Footer from Bottom"
height to 0".

Doing this seems to work for me. Thanks for the help.